Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fine Art Poetry.

     "The author's purpose is to create the vision which results from the deautomatized perception. A work is created "artistically" so that its perception is impeded and the greatest possible effect is produced through the slowness of the perception"- This quote is the epitome of the word poetry.  To me, Victor Shklovsky has just identified the whole concept of poetry and simply put it into words that even a common-minded person can understand. This quote really stood out to me because Shklovsky has managed to capture the beauty and slow perception one can have while reading the fine art of poetry. To explain the understanding of slow perception, Shklovsky uses Leo Tolstoy as an example of how using defamilarization can completely change one's point of view - which I believe is the most important tool in writing great poetry. With defamiliarization, the reader becomes unfamiliar with the norms, therefore, finding a deeper connection to the Poet and his works of art. 
     Yossa Buson's haiku of the leaf that turns into a butterfly, I believe, tells the short story of the Circle of Life. Death being portrayed as a fallen leaf and it's return to life as a butterfly finding its way back to the tree of life shows the compassion the poet has for the cycle that every being becomes familiar with. As well as the understanding of seasons when mentioning fall first with the words of a falling leaf and the portrayal of spring with the blossoming butterfly. This is a great example of something short and sweet. Buson's writing is easily understood, requiring no need for a double take; Which, i find, leaves the reader satisfied and content. 
     A strong poem that I can easily relate to is James Wright's Lying in a hammock at William Duffy's farm in Pine Island, Minnesota. As weird as it may seem, it is easy for me to identify with this Poet's emotions. I too, find my mind drifting off every time I lay in a hammock and always manage to come to the conclusion that I have done nothing meaningful or important in my life - I essentially have wasted my life away. Throughout the poem, Wright sheds the feeling of being a spectator in which one is held hostage by the separation between their mind and physical body. Unlike Buson, James Wright seems to find inspiration in his thoughts and state of mind rather than the common thoughts of life and death.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Natalie! Any chance you could post or email me (mnusbaumer@gmail.com) the poem that you handed out in class on Wednesday? Just trying to make sure I have all the poems to read in advance of the workshop today... if not, can you bring an extra copy to class? Thanks! -Margel

    ReplyDelete